Wondering how to relieve back pain? Welcome to the right page. Here we have outlined different ways to relieve discomfort and ease sleepless nights. Continue reading below for home remedies for back pain.
Home Remedies for Back Pain
1. Change of Sleeping Position
Try lying on the side with a pillow placed in between the knees. The pillow keeps the spine in a neutral position. Put the pillow underneath the knees if sleeping in the supine position.
2. Exercise Regularly
Lying Knee Twist Exercise
This exercise is great for those who feel stiff all the time after waking up or when seated for long periods of time.
- Lay in the supine position with legs fully extended.
- Bend right knee, then cross it over to the left side of the body. Hold this position for at least 20 seconds or until a gentle and soothing stretch through the butt and back muscles is felt.
- Tighten the core muscles and slowly go back to the starting position.
- Do the same process with the other leg.
- Repeat this 3 times on each side.
Restful Pose Exercise
This position is a common yoga pose that helps relax and stretch the entire body.
- Start with knees positioned apart with distance wider than the hips.
- Turn in toes so that the hips are pushed backward while the knees are bent.
- Extend the arms forward.
- Allow the head to fall forward as well. Hold this pose for about 20 seconds.
- Slowly return to the starting position.
- Repeat this 3 times.
Additional Tip: If there’s a feeling of discomfort in the shoulder, place the arms on either side of the body then, extend fully towards the feet.
3. Get a Massage Regularly
Home service massage therapists are available in place of spa salon massage treatments. Getting a massage regularly helps:
- Ease stress
- Promote good blood circulation
- Boost endorphins
- Relax muscles
4. Fix Posture to Relieve Back Pain
Sit with feet flat on the ground. Keep laptop or keyboard within reach to avoid slumping or leaning forward if working on a computer. It also helps to get a swivel chair with good back support to prevent putting pressure on the back while seated.
5. Use a Hot or Cold Compress for Back Pain Relief
Cold therapy has 2 benefits for back pain relief:
- It helps reduce inflammation.
- It serves as a local anesthetic to spasms.
Make use of normal or large ice cubes. Freeze water in a styrofoam cup. Peel 1 to 2 inches of the cup to show the surface of the ice. Gently apply the compress as follows:
- Massage the ice pack onto the lower back in a circular motion.
- Make sure to focus the therapy on the area of the back where the pain is most felt.
- Avoid applying the ice directly on the bony portion of the spine.
- Limit the massage to 5 minutes at a time to avoid any ice burns.
- Perform cold therapy 2 to 5 times a day.
- Make sure that the numbness has worn off before beginning the next round.
Heat therapy has two benefits for back relief:
- It helps stimulate the blood flow which helps bring healing nutrients to the affected area.
- It prevents sensory messages sent to the brain.
There are different ways to make use of heat therapy:
- Moist Heat – hot baths, moist heating packs, and steamed towels
- Dry Heat – saunas and electric heating pads
- Hot water bottles
- Heated gel packs
- Heat wraps
Try out the stretches in the video linked below from PsycheTruth:
Reduce stress and discomfort caused by back pain by improving one’s lifestyle. Work on posture improvement for any posture, especially sitting and lying. Following a regular exercise routine always goes a long way.
Do you have any other ways to relieve back pain? Drop them in the comments section below!
Up Next: Tachycardia Causes