Mindfulness is about being conscious and aware of the present moment. Read on to learn more about mindful yoga and simple exercises that you can try at home!
What is Mindful Yoga?
Mindful yoga mainly focuses on mind and body awareness rather than posture perfection. The main point in mindful yoga is to cultivate mindfulness and use yoga while doing it. Mindful yoga applies to traditional Buddhist mindfulness teachings to the physical practice of yoga in order to strengthen awareness and presence.
5 Mindful Yoga Exercises
Yoga is an excellent opportunity to practice mindfulness. Yoga is a time for focusing, calming down, and awareness – which are all key points of mindfulness.
Hero’s Pose is beneficial for stretching the thighs, top of your feet, ankles, and spine.
- Come to a kneeling position and sit on top of your heels.
- Place your hands in your lap, stretch your tailbone towards the ground and life through your entire spine.
- Broaden your collar bones so the shoulder blades can touch each other slightly. Feel the stretching across your chest.
- Stay in this position for 1-2 minutes and listen to the rhythm of your gentle breathing.
Balasana mindful yoga
Balasana pose is good for easing lower back pain, and it helps stretch your inner thighs, groin, and chest.
- From the Hero’s Pose, split your knees a bit wider than your hip distance and stretch your arms out in front of you.
- Rest your forehead on the ground.
- Soften your shoulders down the back and begin to take slightly deeper breaths. You can try visualizing your breathing, which can help you be more mindful of your existence.
- Allow a slight tightening in your throat to create a wave-like sound in the back of your throat. This can help calm the nervous system. Stay like this for 1-2 minutes.
This Pose can help you stretch your arms, sides, and spine.
- From Balasana pose, lift yourself slowly and make your way into a cross-legged posture.
- Start with your hands at your heart level. Close your eyes and listen to your breathing. Stay in this Pose until you feel grounded.
- Inhale and move your arms out to your sides and then up above your head.
- Exhale as you move your arms out to your sides and then behind you to lock your hands together.
- Inhale as you push your knuckles down slowly.
- Move your hands up above and then to your sides. Repeat this movement 4-5 times.
This Pose is good for stretching the hips, glutes, and lower back.
- From the seated meditation pose, cross your right leg in front of your left leg. Move your heels away from your hips.
- Flex your feet. Ground through your hp bones and inhale as you lift your arms out and up.
- Exhale as stretching your spine, tilt your hips forwards and place your hands in front of you.
- Stay in this Pose for 10 deep breaths. Come up slowly and repeat after switching legs.
This exercise is good for stretching your sides and the intercostal muscles, which can help you relieve stress.
- From the crossed-leg posture, place your left hand down to your left side.
- As you breathe in, lift your right arm above your head and then over to your left side. Feel the stretching on your right side.
- Relax your shoulders and place your forehead on the floor.
- Stay and breathe in and out 5 times. Come back up slowly and take a moment before repeating the same move on the left side.
With the information provided in this article, you can now try mindful yoga in your home. If the exercises given are too difficult to perform at first, we recommend our readers to start slowly, and then as your body gets used to it it’ll become more natural. Remember that in mindful yoga mindfulness is more important than having the perfect posture.
Share your thoughts with us in the comments section! Which mindful yoga exercise is your favorite?
The post Energize the Body and Mind With These 5 Mindful Yoga Exercises appeared first on Dr. Seeds Blog.