Rosemary essential oil comes from the aromatic common kitchen ingredient, but what does it do to the body? Find out more about its health benefits below.
13 Amazing Rosemary Essential Oil Benefits to Your Health
1. Encourages Hair Growth
The application of rosemary oil inhibits the work of dihydrotestosterone or DHT, which attacks hair follicles, leading to male and female pattern baldness. Results from a study suggested that it is as effective as minoxidil 2% in treating androgenetic alopecia and with fewer instances of an itchy scalp.
Alopecia Areata Definition: This is an autoimmune disease where white blood cells attack the cells in hair follicles. This attack results in hair loss, usually in small patches.
2. Alleviates Symptoms of Respiratory Problems
Eucalyptol in rosemary oil has anti-mucolytic and -inflammatory properties, making it a good alternative treatment for respiratory conditions like COPD, asthma, and rhinosinusitis.
3. Improves Digestion Issues
Rosemary essential oil can help with digestion problems, such as indigestion (dyspepsia), constipation, and colitis.
Colitis Definition: It is a chronic disease that comes with the inflammation of the inner lining of the colon.
4. Reduces Stress Levels and Feelings of Tension
A study on the use of rosemary and lavender essential oils in aromatherapy concluded a decrease in cortisol, the stress hormone, and free radical levels among the subjects.
5. Improves the Quality of Memory
In literature, rosemary is believed to help improve memory, and science has agreed.
Using rosemary essential oil for aromatherapy helped boost cognition and the overall mood of people in one particular study. The results showed that the essential oil:
- Helped participants have a more lucid memory
- Improved participants’ long-term memory abilities
In addition to that, it also showed promising effects in enhancing the memories of people with Alzheimer’s disease.
6. Relieves Mild Pain
One study showed that stroke survivors suffering from some form of shoulder pain felt reduced pain with the help of rosemary extract.
Another study showed that rosemary essential oil is slightly more effective as an analgesic than codeine and paracetamol.
7. Reduces Bad Breath
Rosemary infusion has been used by traditional healers in the management of bad breath. It is believed to have antimicrobial effects against oral opportunistic parasites.
RELATED: The 9 Best Essential Oils For Asthma
8. May Help Detoxify and Protect the Liver
The rosemary herb has choleretic properties that help prevent damage to your liver.
Choleretic Definition: This is the ability to increase the amount of bile that the liver releases.
Increasing the amount of bile in the liver helps make it easier for the body to digest fats.
It also has shown positive effects on tissue damage caused by liver cirrhosis.
Liver Cirrhosis Definition: It is the late-stage scarring of the liver due to a number of different liver diseases. This is usually seen in people with chronic alcoholism.
9. Increases Alertness and Attentiveness
The use of rosemary oil aromatherapy also helps increase alertness and attentiveness. Subjects of a study reported a brighter and fresher mind after being exposed to the essential oil.
10. Repels Insects
A study showed that rosemary could repel mosquitoes the longest in comparison to other essential oils. It was able to repel 100% of the mosquitoes for an hour and a half with only 12.5% of rosemary oil.
Also, it served as a repellent for the black-legged ticks, the parasites responsible for Lyme disease.
11. Moisturizes the Skin
Essential oils like rosemary extract, when combined with lipid nanoparticles, can facilitate hydration on the skin. They can also improve elasticity and fight topical symptoms of eczema, dermatitis, and even lupus.
12. Improves Circulation
Applying rosemary essential oil as a topical treatment has shown to improve circulation in the affected area. Such improved circulation can help wounds heal faster because it stimulates faster blood clotting.
13. May Create an Antidepressant Effect
Carnosol and betulinic acid in rosemary essential oil create an anti-depressant effect when taken orally.
In general, aromatherapy serves as a mood booster for less mobile individuals.
How to Use Rosemary Essential Oil
- Topical skin application: Mix a couple of drops of rosemary oil and coconut oil. Massage on your aches and pains.
- Hair and scalp application: Massage five drops of the oil directly on your scalp. You can also mix a couple of drops with your shampoo or conditioner.
- Mouthwash: Mix two and a half cups of water, three drops of rosemary oil, and five drops of peppermint oil together. Gargle about a tablespoon of the mixture.
- Aromatherapy: Add five drops of the oil into your diffuser.
- Inhalation: Rub a couple of drops of the oil all over your palms then cover your mouth and nose. Inhale for a few minutes.
Precautions When Using Rosemary Essential Oil
- Any essential oil, even rosemary, can cause skin irritation if applied on the skin directly. Make sure that you dilute it with a carrier oil first before using it.
- Avoid applying it anywhere near the eye area or other sensitive spots.
- Do not use it as a topical treatment nor diffuse it in the presence of someone within the age of six years old and below. Also, keep it out of reach of kids and pets.
- Consumption of rosemary essential oil might interact with certain drugs, pregnancy, or breastmilk. Make sure to consult with a physician before using or taking rosemary essential oil for any purpose.
Essentials oils have been a go-to alternative remedy for bodily ailments for years, rosemary included. Do give them a try and see how they work for you.
If you’re looking for other naturally formulated remedies, check out Dr. Seeds’ collection.
Still, as with medications and other natural treatments, it’s best to seek the advice of a health care professional before usage or intake.
Which of these rosemary oil health benefits have you heard of before? Have you tried essential oils to remedy ailments? Share your stories and thoughts with us in the comments below!
- 19 Benefits Of The Best Lavender Essential Oil Including Pain Relief
- 11 Essential Oils For Thyroid Health
- How Martial Arts Training Helps Overcome Stress